Thursday, May 24, 2012

Lost Track of the Time

Well I have to apologize for not being a good blogger. I feel sorta silly writing the same things over and over when the activity seems pretty repetitive. We learned about a lot of different things. We walked a lot. We ran some. And that is what we did. Pretty boring stuff...... Well not really..... I watched a wonderful group of young ladies grow. I watched them learn about Autism. I watched them cheer my Buggy girl on and really reach out to include her. I am so very lucky to have had the chance to work with these wonderful young ladies. During the GOTR program the girls have to choose a service project. The service project they chose was to help with the Special Olympics Spring Games. The girls washed signs and put pins in the backs of the ribbons that the Special Olympics Athletes get. However, the real test came at the 5K. I observed on of our girls offering an encouraging word to a runner from a different school. I saw them stopping to make sure that someone who was sitting down was actually ok. I had them come up to me after the race and ask me how Charity had done. Now that was a good question. How did Charity do. Well, Charity did very well. She walked some and she ran some. She finished pretty close to the back of the pack but she finished and that is all that matters. I am so proud of her. She hung in there even when she was far enough back that there were no other runners in sight. She kept going even when the officer that was supposed to stay behind the runners had passed her. She kept going with small and simple and steady steps she accomplished the mighty task of completing a 5K. The 5K is over. The certificates have been given out and it is all over. There is a bittersweet sense of accomplishment and loss. Will I ever get to have my daughter be a part of such a wonderfully encouraging group of girls? Well we will be doing GOTR in the fall so hopefully we will be part of a group that is just a great as this group. Until fall I will probably not be posting very much on this blog. However, there will be a few posts as we try to keep up our walking during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment